Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pigs in a cornfield near the apple orchard.

Sunday cooking mmm-mmm good. First we cooked Pigs In A Cornfield
I saw this recipe on the dutch oven cooking group and just had to try it. With a name like that how could I not?!
Here's the recipe as posted by Mark Wilkins:

Line the oven with standing half ears of corn on the cob. Stand links of Keilbasa Sausage in between the corn. In the center place some sliced potatoes, diced onion, diced celery, diced green chillies. Top with a can of Campbell's Southwest Pepper Jack soup. Season some pork of your choice, like pork chops. Place on top and then cover with another can of Pepper Jack soup. Cook til done. Best to do in a deep oven if possible allowing more head room. Very tasty one pot meal; you can substitute any flavors of soup you desire, or mix & match. Vary vegetables as well. Lot's of choices.

What we did: I used frozen 3-inch corn cobs they came 12 to a package. Too many for one pot so I arranged them in my 12-inch DO and the brand new 10-inch. Would like to try it with fresh corn. The frozen always seems kind of mushy to me. I used canned chopped green chilies. I used boneless pork but it was sliced a little thin and I didn't really buy enough for two pots but we made do. I did have enough keilbasa, potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery. I had only bought the 2 cans of soup so we had to stretch that a little but everything tasted great so I think it was enough to give it that flavor.

Next we made what I'll call Apple Spice Cake
We used a recipe from So Ca Chapter IDOS Cookbook called Convertable Dump Cake that was submitted by Doug Ernst
Basically you pick 2 cans (20 ounces with juice) of fruit, 1 box of cake mix, and one can of lemon lime soda, not diet.(or 2 sticks butter, sliced or melted)
We used 2 cans of Apple Pie Filling, covered with a box of Spice Cake mix, and poured in one can of Sierra Mist, barely stirred in with a few swirls with the end of the spoon and cooked for 45 minutes.
We served with Vanilla Ice Cream and it was a big hit! It's kind of a cross between apple pie, apple crisp, and cake. Whatever you call it, it's delicious!

1 comment:

Ron Clanton said...

Ruth:
I would like to invite to follow my blog.
roguedutchovencooker.blobspot.com

I am " The Outlaw Gourmet "
I have been a member of I.D.O.S. for over 20 years. I love D.O. cooking.